Saturday, October 4, 2008

Ken goes on a mission

In August 1987 my older brother, Ken, left on his mission. He was called to serve in the Leeds, England mission. I was so proud of him. I know it was a huge decision for him to make. Ken turned 19 in January of 1987. He had decided not to go on a mission. It was a disappointment for all of our family. I think especially for my parents. As the year progressed, Ken realized that he wanted to get married, and that the kind of girl he wanted to marry, would want a Returned Missionary (a.k.a. “R.M.”). So he got things in order. He was called to serve in the Leeds, England mission. He left for the MTC in August of that same year.

I remember the day he left. Mom and Dad were driving him to Provo. We all stood outside the front door… hugs and good-bye’s all around. They drove off. Summer and I went into the house to work on homework. I heard a little sniff coming from Summer. I snapped at her, “Don’t you cry!” I knew that if she cried, I’d be crying, and I DID NOT want to cry!

No comments: